This post is also available in: Suomi
The Forester`s Hash is perfect for celebrations. Reindeer meat is the first choice – albeit an expensive one. You can also make this dish from venison, which you can find in supermarket freezer.
Forester`s HashPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 250 g reindeer or game roast
- 3 dl lager beer
- 100 g bacon
- 1 onion
- 4 carrots
- 8 potatoes small ones
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 200 g sour cream
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch parsley
- If you use frozen meat, take it to room temperature 1 hour earlier. Peel and boil the carrots and potatoes until almost cooked. Let it cool. Place on a chopping board and chop coarsely.
- Chop a handful of thyme and parsley. Stir them into the sour cream.
- Peel the garlic, chop it in half and use it to give the slices of bread a nice flavor. Cut the bread into cubes and fry in a pan with 1 tablespoon of butter until crispy. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon and put it in the pan to crumble. Peel and chop the onion also in the pan. When the bacon is slightly crispy
- Put some butter into the pan, add the reindeer meat and fry until colored.
- Pour lager beer into the pan and cook the chops until cooked through. The reindeer meat requires about 3 dl and at least 30 minutes.
- When the meat is cooked, drain off the excess liquid from the pan.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots and 1 tbsp butter.
- Stir and fry over a high heat for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the Forester`s Hash onto plates for servings; top with bread cubes and sour cream.
Nutrition (values are an approximate guide)
Last Updated on March 31, 2022 by Flavorado