This post is also available in: Suomi
Greek Stifado is a dish made with rabbit. If you can’t find rabbit in your grocery store, you can use roast lamb for this recipe. Enjoy Stifado with rice and good bread.
StifadoPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 700 g rabbit meat or roast lamb
- 10 small onions
- 2 large onions
- 1 dl olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 dl tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 teaspoons paprika powder
- Put the oil and crushed garlic cloves in a cast iron pan. Add the cubed meat to the pot. Brown the surface of the meat. Season with pepper and salt.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vinegar and remaining spices. Wait for the stew to boil. Add the larger onions in chunks. Add enough water to just cover the ingredients. Simmer gently for a couple of hours under a lid.
- Peel the small onions and leave them whole. Add them into the pot. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- The idea of the Stifado is that the liquid in the pot precipitates without a large saucepan and the meat cooks very tender.
- Let the Stifado cook for a while on the table under the lid and enjoy with pleasure!
Nutrition (values are an approximate guide)
Last Updated on June 2, 2022 by Flavorado